Areas of Governance:
▪ Human Services
▪ Courts and Corrections
▪ Land Use and Community Planning
▪ Public Safety and Emergency Management
▪ Veterans Affairs
▪ Property Assessment and Taxation
▪ Oversee the administration of all county staff and programs
▪ Adopt an annual budget
▪ Plan for and implement capital improvements
▪ Levy taxes
▪ Negotiate with employee groups on salaries and benefits
▪ Oversee the funds of county row officers
▪ Appoint boards and commissions.
Length of Term:
▪ 4 Years
▪ Terms are not staggered – all county commissioners are elected at the same time.
▪ If a commissioner’s seat becomes vacant during the term, the President Judge of the County Court of Common Pleas appoints a citizen of the same party to fill the unexpired term.
▪ By all registered voters in the county
Continued on Next Page…
Size of Board of County Commissioners:
▪ Three. Citizens elect 3 from those on the ballot: 2 Republican, 2 Democratic, any 3rd party or Independent candidates. This guarantees representation from more than one party.
▪ Elected from the commissioners, by the commissioners.
▪ Vice chair
▪ Registered voter
▪ 18 years or older
▪ Resident of the county for one year prior to the election
Compensation and Employment:
▪ Compensation for commissioners and county row offices is set by the county commissioners sitting as a salary board
▪ Commissioners cannot change salary schedule during their own term
▪ Commissioners cannot set salary during an election year
Typical Boards and Commissions:
▪ Criminal Justice Advisory Board
▪ Planning Commission